Friday, December 9, 2011

no matter the size of the sea, sometimes two ships meet

This lull of information, currently, is not because I've fallen off the movement, that is certain.




After my travels, I got a little stuck in upstate NY at my parents' house. With a clear vision but a dwindling budget, I've been participating as I can, and working towards sustaining myself, as well as making a home for myself. I've known for months that I need to be in NYC now, but its not easy just to jump in. Even after attending the OWS spokescouncil meeting on wednesday, where respresentatives of each working group come together to share information, I didn't know where to go for housing. OWS housing is still a big issue, so anyone who can help to provide a place for people to sleep, you are very much encouraged to do so. http://www.nycga.net/housing-support/

The meeting I attended was not representative of all the meetings of the spokescouncil that came before, as the council was trying something new by eliminating facilitation. It was a highly charged meeting. Both tension and love were dancing through the space. It was overwhelming and beautiful the way people try to serve peace even while bubbling with chaotic tension. The human beings who have devoted so much time and attention and intention and resources of their own to serve this movement are so inspirational. What a task, changing the world is. Seriously. This group convenes with the total intention of making the world a better place, and the commitment is stirring. I loved it, and I am so excited to be back in NY where I can direct my own energies towards these goals in good company.

The collective power is so beautiful. It is really empowering to be amongst like-minded individuals. All these years of traveling and of being alone have served to provide me with this idea of myself as the solitary bearer of an enormous weight. As an artist, as a healer, as a sensitive and curious observer of the world, I have held a lot of knowledge, both of beauty and suffering. Moving through the world as I have, I have kept myself away from groups especially when I couldn't understand what tied them together. Occupy is the best thing to ever have happened to my social life. Knowing that I can enter a space and find other people who see all the things I also see and who still believe that something greater is possible and are willing to work for it... well, there are no words. There are tears.

I've been up near Poughkeepsie, NY, since Thanksgiving. I've attended Occupy Poughkeepsie, especially as eviction was threatened, and I stood with beautiful people in Hulme Park for 5 nights at 11pm through to wee hours, as 11pm was the time when police were expected. The 6th night, the night with the least attendance, and (guilt) first time I didn't go, was the night police came, near 4am, and dismantled camp, throwing things willy-nilly (yes, I, said that) into pickup trucks, despite Occupiers telling them to preserve these things which could be donated rather than dumped. Its another vision of the illness. Consumer-mind which says everything is junk and can be replaced, without thought to where it comes from and where it will go. It makes me sick.

An interview with some of the OPK loves who were there to witness the dismantling of camp. The video shows the park, empty of tents, canopies, and the yurt which made up the camp since mid-october.




Other things I've been witness to lately involve wellness+healing, as well as Climate Change. I've been in small group meetings and also listened in on the conference call via the Tar Sands Action group and I am so glad there are people willing to devote energy to ideas for winning the fight for the planet. Big oil is a serious monster to contend with and the fight is a real war. Beautiful warriors for peace and equality are everywhere, and it makes my heart so full.

 I am excited about moving forward, I am excited by all the potential. This moment is a chaotic one, it is still the beginning, really. We are scattered forces, trying to organize, trying to come together, and really, actually doing it, and trying to do it in a way that hasn't been done before. The organization of the machine which has been in power for so long may appear strong, may even influence us all right now since it HAS been a major source of our knowledge and experience for so long, but it is losing ground to the beauty and truth of the new way, the way of peace and love and honor. I remember reading a horoscope maybe a year ago or so, not an individual horoscope but an overall atmosphere thing, and it talked about balance between aquarius and leo- Leo wanting to be in the spotlight as an individual and Aquarius being the sign of brotherly humanitarian love. I think we are coming to a point of understanding between these things, as a culture and as a movement. We must honor eachother for our uniqueness, and we must use that uniqueness in service to the greater good. And, we are.

Personally, the traveling I've been doing, really for the past 10 years, is coming to a close, and I am working on making myself a place in the world to call home. It is a struggle for me, and a big change, and because its at a head right now, I'm busy trying to birth myself from this coccoon. I hope to be able to write more and be of better service in this way in the coming month. When I am a little more settled, I will be a lot more involved, and able to make time for this in a more disciplined way. For now, I'll continue as I can, and I appreciate your audience. Much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment